Banner

Christ Church Bangkok

Foreign Christians have been free to worship in Thailand for nearly five hundred years. The first to do so were Portuguese traders who settled outside Ayutthaya early in the 16th century. The remains of three Roman Catholic churches and a graveyard can still be seen there.

Ayutthaya was destroyed in 1767, and it was ninety years before Westerners began to settle in Thailand again; welcomed by King Mongkut (1851-1868). Protestant and Roman Catholic missionaries came and worked without hindrance amongst the Thai and Chinese communities. They built hospitals and schools, many of which are still flourishing. There were also many fine Roman Catholic churches. But there was no equivalent Protestant church, though there was a Protestant Cemetery which is still in use.

Chronology

The Church began at a site by the river

3 June 1861 A meeting of non-Roman Catholic Christians is held at the British Consulate: Protestant Church Committee formed.

Chapel window

East Window of Chapel

26 July 1861 King Mongkut granted land by the river to the Community of foreigners of Protestant Christian faith.
1 May 1864 The Protestant Union Chapel (also called "The English Church") opened for worship. The preacher at the opening service was the Rev. S. Mattoon of the American Presbyterian Mission.
April 1894 Canon William Greenstock came as Chaplain, supported by SPG (Society for the Propagation of the Gospel).
16 Feb 1896 First confirmation in the chapel. It was conducted by Bishop George Hose, Bishop of Singapore Labuan & Sarawak.
7 April 1904 King Chulalongkorn granted permission to sell the river site and gifted land off North Sathorn Road for the building of a new church.

 

Clergy, River Site
1864-1892 American missionaries
1894-1900 Revd. W. G. Greenstock (Chaplain)
1900-1901 American Presbyterian missionaries
1901-1902 Revd. W. H. Robins (Chaplain)
1902-1903 American Presbyterian missionaries
1903-1905 Revd. H. de Courcy Blakeney (Chaplain)

 

Christ Church was built on land granted by King Chulalongkorn, Rama V, to the English-speaking, Protestant Christian community.

Christ Church 1905 - 1963

30 April 1905 Church building dedicated. The service was conducted by the Rev. H. de Courcy Blakeney (chaplain), Canon W. Greenstock (SPG) and the Revd. J. Carrington (American Bible Society)
September 1905 Baptism font arrived.
19 November 1905 Pipe organ dedicated. For more information on the pipe organ read this pdf
1907 Clergy stalls and chancel screen provided.
1913 First ceiling fans installed.


Christ Church
Christ Church
East windows
East windows
Comfortable seating
Armchair seating
Fan above choir stall
Ceiling fan


4 November - 2 December 1917 Severe flooding. Services were held at the British Legation instead of at Christ Church.
December 1918 Land between the church building and BNH Hospital purchased.
1928 Celebration of a century of Protestant missions in Thailand.
23 July 1937 British Government's representative no longer to be the ex-officio chairman of the Church Committee.
1941 The Chaplain was interned in a military camp during World War II and the Church's affairs were looked after by the Scandinavian community.
1946 Church Services were resumed upon cessation of hostilities.
1948 The Church began to take full responsibility for financing all of its own affairs.
1 May 1955 Golden Jubilee celebrations.
1956 Services began to be taken in Saigon, Phnom Penh and Vientiane as circumstances demanded.

Chaplains, Christ Church - 1905 to 1963
1905-1907 Rev. H. de Courcy Blakeney   1941-1945 Chaplain interned-Second World War
1908-1920 Rev. Dr. H. J. Hillyard 1945-1946 British Army Chaplains
1920-1921 Rev. C. R. Simmons 1946-1951 Rev. C. G. Eagling
1921 Rev. F. Dowland Ryan 1951-1955 Rev. W. H. Fowke
1922-1932 Rev. C. R. Simmons 1955-1958 Rev. J. L. Gilmour
1932-1935 Rev. E. Edwards 1958-1962 Rev. E. J. Pulman
1935-1940 Rev. C. W. Norwood 1962-1963 Interregnum - Diocesan Clergy
1940-1941 Rev. C. G. Eagling  

Christ Church 1963 -

1963 The Revd J. E. Ironside inducted as Vicar. This saw the end of 70 years of chaplaincies.
1969 New Vicarage built.
13 February 1972

H.M. Queen Elizabeth II accompanied by H.R.H. The Duke of Edinburgh and H.R.H. The Princess Anne attended divine service.

1976 Memorial Chapel and Garden of Remembrance were dedicated.
1982 Outreach to Karen displaced persons began.
10 February 1991 The Colin Britton Memorial Windows are dedicated.
1991 Thai-language ministry organised by the Revd. Gerry (Gerald) Khoo and his wife, Dorothy.
1993-4 Air-conditioning installed.
1994 Anglican Church in Thailand registered with Evangelical Fellowship of Thailand.


Chapel and Vicarage
Chapel and Vicarage
Garden of Remembrance
Garden of Remembrance
Rainbowland
Rainbowland
Li Hall
Li Hall

1996 Christ Church Banchang established.
1998 Rainbowland Child Development Centre opened in the Old Vicarage.
1999 A new wall, gates and a car park built.
1999 Christ Church Sawang Daendin established.
November 2001 The new church hall, the Li Hall, was dedicated.
26 December 2004 Tsunami: Christ Church responded quickly with active involvement and aid.
 
Christ Church Vicars Since 1963
1963-1966 Rev. J.E.Ironside 1995-1997 Rev. Bruce McNam
1966-1971 Rev. D.N. Bowers 1998-2004 Rev. Stephen Gabbott
1971-1973 Rev. P.D.Kingston 2004-2005 Rev. Andrew Dircks
1973-1981 Rev. John Taylor 2005-2006 Rev. Stephen Gabbott (Acting Vicar)
1982-1984 Rev. Ian Bull 2006-2014 Rev. Peter Cook
1984-1986 Rev. John Morrett (Acting Vicar) 2014- Rev. Tim Eady (Acting Vicar)
1986-1995 Rev. Monty Morris    
 

Statement of vision and core values produced by the 2005/6 Parish Church Council

"Christ Church Bangkok strives to be a vibrant, growing, welcoming, Bible-based, prayerful community which worships the risen Jesus Christ, and demonstrates Christ's love." We are committed to the authority and accuracy of Scripture as the ultimate voice of God, who defines our faith and life together:
  • We express our love for God in worship and in prayer
  • We are a Bible-based, prayerful community, equipping God's servants to apply God's Word and will in practical ways
  • We come to worship God: we know He is present, we hear Him speak
We reach out to each other and to the community:
  • We express our love for our neighbours by caring for them and helping them to know and experience God's love through Jesus Christ
  • We are committed to share God's love by serving Thailand and its people
  • We are a caring community. Each person is valued and by God's Word we seek to build each other up in Christ

30 April 2005 Centenary Celebration of the church building on the corner of Convent and North Sathorn Roads.
August 2005 Installation of the bell (made in 1955).
29 April 2007 Dedication of a Sala in memory of Archdeacon Gerald (Gerry) Khoo.
2007/2008 Renovations to the church building were undertaken as a result of a generous financial gift from the Religious Affairs Department of the Thai Government, in celebration of the 60th year of reign by His Majesty King Bhumipol Adulyadej.
31 October 2010
Archbishop John Chew of Singapore ordained the Rev. Pairoj Phiammattawat to the priesthood at Christ Church, making him the first native priest of the Anglican Church in Thailand.
July-September    2012 The stained glass windows on the eastern and western sides of the church building are restored.
September 2012 Christ Church appoints its first Associate Minister in the person of Revd Tim Eady.
November/December 2012 The bellows of the pipe organ are restored.
May 2014 The 150th anniversary of this church is celebrated

Bibliography

Christ Church, "A Prayer Book for Thailand", Christ Church Bangkok, 1989
Peter Norman (ed.), "Spiritual Oasis", Christ Church Bangkok, 1994
Members of the congregations of Christ Church Bangkok, past and present, "A Century of Fellowship", Christ Church Bangkok, 2005

Latest Sermon (21st Dec)God With Usdownload listen Latest Church Notice Sheet

Sunday Worship

7:30 a.m. - This is a traditional service based on an Anglican liturgy and normally Holy Communion. There is fellowship afterwards over breakfast in the church hall.

10:00 a.m. - The widest cross section of our church family makes up the 10 o'clock congregation. This is normally a communion service but can sometimes be an all-age family worship or morning worship. Children and youth groups are run at the same time as this service, making it popular with families. You are invited to stay on after the service for tea/coffee and lunch in the church hall.