The Church began at a site by the river
3 June 1861 - Meeting of non-Roman Catholic Christians held at the British Consulate: Protestant Church Committee formed.
26 July 1861 - King Mongkut granted land by the river to the Community of foreigners of Protestant Christian faith.
1 May 1864 - The Protestant Union Chapel (also called “The English Church”) opened for worship. The preacher at the opening service was the Rev. S. Mattoon of the American Presbyterian Mission.
April 1894 Canon William Greenstock came as Chaplain, supported by SPG (Society for the Propagation of the Gospel).
16 Feb 1896 First confirmation in the chapel. It was conducted by Bishop George Hose, Bishop of Singapore Labuan & Sarawak.
7 April 1904 King Chulalongkorn granted permission to sell the river site and gifted land off North Sathorn Road for the building of a new church.
Clergy, River Site
1864-1892 American missionaries
1894-1900 Revd. W. G. Greenstock (Chaplain)
1900-1901 American Presbyterian missionaries
1901-1902 Revd. W. H. Robins (Chaplain)
1902-1903 American Presbyterian missionaries
1903-1905 Revd. H. de Courcy Blakeney (Chaplain)
Christ Church was built on land granted by King Chulalongkorn, Rama V,
to the English-speaking Protestant Christian community.
30 April 1905 Church building dedicated. The service was conducted by the Rev. H. de Courcy Blakeney (chaplain), Canon W. Greenstock (SPG) and the Revd. J. Carrington (American Bible Society)
September 1905 Baptism font arrived.
19 November 1905 Pipe organ dedicated. For more information on the pipe organ this pdf.
1907 Clergy stalls and chancel screen provided.
1913 First ceiling fans installed.
4 November – 2 December 1917 Severe flooding: services were held at the British Legation instead of at Christ Church.
December 1918 Land between the church building and BNH Hospital purchased.
1928 Celebration of a century of Protestant missions in Thailand.
23 July 1937 British Government’s representative no longer to be ex-officio chairman of the Church Committee.
1941 The Chaplain was interned in a military camp during World War II and the Church’s affairs were looked after by the Scandinavian community.
1946 Church Services were resumed upon cessation of hostilities.
1948 The Church began to take full responsibility for financing all of its own affairs.
1 May 1955 Golden Jubilee celebrations.
1956 Services began to be taken in Saigon, Phnom Penh and Vientiane as circumstances demanded.
Chaplains, Christ Church - 1905 to 1963
1905-1907 Rev. H. de Courcy Blakeney 1941-1945 Chaplain interned-Second World War
1908-1920 Rev. Dr. H. J. Hillyard 1945-1946 British Army Chaplains
1920-1921 Rev. C. R. Simmons 1946-1951 Rev. C. G. Eagling
1921 Rev. F. Dowland Ryan 1951-1955 Rev. W. H. Fowke
1922-1932 Rev. C. R. Simmons 1955-1958 Rev. J. L. Gilmour
1932-1935 Rev. E. Edwards 1958-1962 Rev. E. J. Pulman
1935-1940 Rev. C. W. Norwood 1962-1963 Interregnum - Diocesan Clergy
1940-1941 Rev. C. G. Eagling
Christ Church 1963
1963 The Revd J. E. Ironside inducted as Vicar. This saw the end of 70 years of chaplaincies.
1969 New Vicarage built.
13 February 1972 H.M. Queen Elizabeth II accompanied by H.R.H. The Duke of Edinburgh and H.R.H. The Princess Anne attended divine service.
1976 Memorial Chapel and Garden of Remembrance were dedicated.
1982 Outreach to Karen displaced persons began.
10 February 1991 The Colin Britton Memorial Windows are dedicated.
1991 Thai-language ministry organised by the Revd. Gerry (Gerald) Khoo and his wife, Dorothy.
1993-4 Air-conditioning installed.
1994 Anglican Church in Thailand registered with Evangelical Fellowship of Thailand.
1996 Christ Church Banchang established.
1998 Rainbowland Child Development Centre opened in the Old Vicarage.
1999 A new wall, gates and a car park built.
1999 Christ Church Sawang Daendin established.
November 2001 The new church hall, the Li Hall, was dedicated.
26 December 2004 Tsunami: Christ Church responded quickly with active involvement and aid.
Christ Church Vicars Since 1963
1963-1966 Rev. J. E. Ironside 1986-1995 Rev. Dr. Monty Morris
1966-1971 Rev. D. N. Bowers 1995-1997 Rev. Bruce Mc Nab
1971-1973 Rev. P. D. Kingston 1998-2004 Rev. Stephen Gabbott
1973-1981 Rev. John Taylor 2004-2005 Rev. Andrew Dircks
1982-1984 Rev. Ian Bull 2005-2006 Rev. Stephen Gabbott (Interim Vicar)
1984-1986 Rev. John Morrett (Acting Vicar) 2006- Rev. Peter Cook
30 April 2005 Centenary Celebration of the church building on the corner of Convent and North Sathorn Roads.
August 2005 Installation of bell (made 1955).
29 April 2007 Dedication of Sala in memory of Archdeacon Gerald (Gerry) Khoo.
2007/2008 Renovations to the church building were undertaken as a result of a generous financial gift from the Religious Affairs Department of the Thai Government, in celebration of the 60th year of reign by His Majesty King Bhumipol Adulyadej.
31 October 2010 Archbishop John Chew of Singapore ordained the Rev. Pairoj Phiammattawat to the priesthood at Christ Church, making him the first native priest of the Anglican Church in Thailand.